L1 visa


Are you a manager, executive or a "specialized knowledge" employed by a foreign business entity?

Have you been working abroad for at least one continuous year within the past 3 years?

Is your company abroad related to the U.S. business you will establish? Will the foreign entity continue to do business?

Will you be coming to the United States to open a new office location for your company? Will the new office be active and operating shortly after you arrive in the United States as an L-1?

If you answered yes to most of the questions above, contact GTRR for more about the eligibility requirements for an L-1 Visa and tips to keep in mind when submitting your evidence.


An L-1 visa is a visa document used to enter the United States for the purpose of work in L-1 status.

It is a non-immigrant visa, and is valid for a relatively short amount of time, from 3 months (for Iran nationals) to 5 years (India, Japan, Germany), based on a reciprocity schedule. With extensions, the maximum stay is seven years.

L-1 visas are available to employees of an international company with offices in both the United States and abroad.

The visa allows such foreign workers to relocate to the corporation's US office after having worked abroad for the company for at least one continuous year within the previous three prior to admission in the US.

The US and non-US employers must be related in one of 4 ways:

Parent and subsidiary; branch and headquarters; sister companies owned by a mutual parent; or 'affiliates' owned by the same or people in approximately the same percentages.

The L-1 classification also enables a foreign company which does not yet have an affiliated U.S. office to send an employee to the United States to help establish one, with additional requirements

Spouses of L-1 visa holders are allowed to work without restriction in the US (using an L-2 visa), and the L-1 visa may legally be used as a stepping stone to a green card under the doctrine of dual intent.

Types of L-1 Visas

The L-1 visa has two subcategories:

L-1A for executives and managers,

L-1B for workers with specialized knowledge.

L-1A status is valid for up to 7 years,

L-1B status is valid for up to 5 years.

After the expiration of the 7 or 5 years respectively, the foreign national can generally only qualify for L-1 status again by working abroad for at least 1 year for the parent, subsidiary, affiliate or branch office of the U.S. company.

There are two types of L-1 procedures:

Regular L-1 visas, which must be applied for and approved for each individual by the USCIS; and

Blanket L-1 visas, which are available to employers that meet certain criteria.

For a regular L-1 visa, the company must file a petition with the USCIS and each petition is evaluated on its own merits.

In the case of a blanket L-1 visa petition, it has already been determined by USCIS that the company qualifies for the issuance of Intracompany Transferee visa, so the individual visa applicant need only file a copy of the approved blanket petition, along with documents supporting their personal qualifications, with the U.S. consulate or embassy having jurisdiction over their place of residence proving the applicant's qualifications


Contact us for further assistance on L1 visa @ 91 8897484554 - GTRR Educational & Immigration Consultants. Fill the enquiry form so that our L1 process consultants will call you back.